64-bit questions

Milan Babuskov-2
Hi all,

I finally got a hold on to 64-bit AMD machine, and now I'm going to
start testing and developing FR on it. I got wx and FR to compile, but I
do have a doubt about FB client library. AFAIU, the 64bit executables
can't (or shouldn't) load 32bit libraries into them. Does this mean that
I need to link against 64bit fbclient?

I'm especially interested in what Marius (and Michael?) have done to
biuld FR on 64bit systems. Did you use the unstable 64bit FB, or you
built Firebird from sources your self?

Given the fact that there is no stable 64bit FB build, is the executable
which we get that way even stable?  I don't know what is the instability
in 64bit Firebird (client or server size). Also, other questions pop up
like: can I safely use 64bit FR to connect to 32bit FB, and similar
combinations. Can anyone explain, or at least give me some hints?

Thanx,

Re: 64-bit questions

Damyan Ivanov

Re: 64-bit questions

Milan Babuskov-5
Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> As a final shameles plug, I'd suggest you to give Debian a try - it has
> amd64 port[1] and you get precompiled firebird (client and server),
> wxWindows and everithing :-)

I actually plan to run 64bit Debian as main OS on that computer. But, it takes
a lot of time to download two DVDs. I took slamd64 as a testing platform,
while I wait for Debian.

Although, I might dissapoint you as I'm going to run Sarge on it. So, I guess
I'll have to compile my own wxWidgets for it.

http://abrick.sourceforge.net

Re: 64-bit questions

Damyan Ivanov

Re: 64-bit questions

Milan Babuskov-5
Damyan Ivanov wrote:

>>>As a final shameles plug, I'd suggest you to give Debian a try - it has
>>>amd64 port[1] and you get precompiled firebird (client and server),
>>>wxWindows and everithing :-)
>>
>>I actually plan to run 64bit Debian as main OS on that computer. But, it
>>takes a lot of time to download two DVDs. I took slamd64 as a testing
>>platform, while I wait for Debian.
>
> You don't need to download the two DVDs, unless you plan to instal
> Debian in networkless environment. If you have network access, the
> netinst.iso is perfectly sufficient - it will download whatever you need
> from internet.

The computer I need to install on has none (or very bad) Internet
access, so I must have everything on DVDs.

M.