Another one: PLAN

Kjell Rilbe
Oh, and it seems like FlameRobin doesn't allow me to specify a plan for
my select. It should, shouldn't it?

Kjell
--
--------------------------------------
Kjell Rilbe

Re: Another one: PLAN

Milan Babuskov
Kjell Rilbe wrote:
> Oh, and it seems like FlameRobin doesn't allow me to specify a plan for
> my select. It should, shouldn't it?

I have no idea. How is it supposed to be done?

Re: Another one: PLAN

Kjell Rilbe
Milan Babuskov wrote:
> Kjell Rilbe wrote:
>
>> Oh, and it seems like FlameRobin doesn't allow me to specify a plan
>> for my select. It should, shouldn't it?
>
> I have no idea. How is it supposed to be done?

Well, I haven't really used the PLAN subexpression, but according to the
Interbase 6 docs it should look something like this:

SELECT ...
FROM ...
WHERE ...
PLAN (TheTable NATURAL)

(For example.)

You can look it up yourself. Flamerobin chokes on the PLAN keyword.

Kjell
--
--------------------------------------
Kjell Rilbe

Re: Another one: PLAN

Kjell Rilbe
Kjell Rilbe wrote:

> Milan Babuskov wrote:
>
>> Kjell Rilbe wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, and it seems like FlameRobin doesn't allow me to specify a plan
>>> for my select. It should, shouldn't it?
>>
>> I have no idea. How is it supposed to be done?
>
> SELECT ...
> FROM ...
> WHERE ...
> PLAN (TheTable NATURAL)
>
> (For example.)

By the way, the purpose of being able to do this is to try out different
plans to determine which one gives best performance and then drop/create
indices accordingly, so that the best plan is chosen automatically. This
can be done with all potentially useful indices present.

Without it, I have to make the query optimizer choose various plan by
dropping/creating indices to get all potentially useful combos. That's a
lot more work than to simply create all the indices, try the various
plans, then drop the indices that proved not to be useful.

Kjell
--
--------------------------------------
Kjell Rilbe

Re: Another one: PLAN

Milan Babuskov
Kjell Rilbe wrote:
>>> I have no idea. How is it supposed to be done?
>>
>> SELECT ...
>> FROM ...
>> WHERE ...
>> PLAN (TheTable NATURAL)

Is it possible from isql?

Could anyone give some example with EMPLOYEE database so I can check
this out?

http://njam.sourceforge.net

Re: Another one: PLAN

Nando Dessena
Milan,

M> Could anyone give some example with EMPLOYEE database so I can check
M> this out?

Just copy the PLAN clause FR shows in the stats tab and paste it at
the end of the select statement. Example:

select * from EMPLOYEE
where LAST_NAME > 'A'
plan (EMPLOYEE INDEX(NAMEX))

BTW, this works fine here. Kjell, what is the problem exactly?

Ciao
--
Nando Dessena

Re: Another one: PLAN

Kjell Rilbe
Nando Dessena wrote:

> M> Could anyone give some example with EMPLOYEE database so I can check
> M> this out?
>
> Just copy the PLAN clause FR shows in the stats tab and paste it at
> the end of the select statement. Example:
>
> select * from EMPLOYEE
> where LAST_NAME > 'A'
> plan (EMPLOYEE INDEX(NAMEX))
>
> BTW, this works fine here. Kjell, what is the problem exactly?

Well, when I tried it, FR choked on the "PLAN" keyword. It said it was
an unkown (invalid?) keyword. I'll try it again and get back to you.

Kjell
--
Kjell Rilbe