Bazaar-NG comments

marius adrian popa
Administrator
As seen from 10.000 ft bazaar-ng is well fitted to
cases like when you try to merge two trees for example :
Gregory Sapunkov works on his tree  a few weeks and when he gets an
good internet
connection then we can merge his tree with our own main repository

"With repositories able to merge changes back and forth one can now
have multiple repositories for the same codebase. We can use this
concept to solve the problem of disconnected access. Insead of always
working on a remote repository one can make a local copy of a remote
repository. Local commits go into the local repository. When the local
changes are good enough to give to other people, the commits stored in
the local repository are pushed into the remote repository."
--
developer flamerobin.org

Re: Bazaar-NG comments

Milan Babuskov-5
marius popa wrote:

> As seen from 10.000 ft bazaar-ng is well fitted to
> cases like when you try to merge two trees for example :
> Gregory Sapunkov works on his tree  a few weeks and when he gets an
> good internet
> connection then we can merge his tree with our own main repository
>
> "With repositories able to merge changes back and forth one can now
> have multiple repositories for the same codebase. We can use this
> concept to solve the problem of disconnected access. Insead of always
> working on a remote repository one can make a local copy of a remote
> repository. Local commits go into the local repository. When the local
> changes are good enough to give to other people, the commits stored in
> the local repository are pushed into the remote repository."

I don't see the point in all this. You still need human to resolve
conflicts. If one developer changes file A in his local copy, and
developer B changes the same file differently in his local copy, only
them can resolve "which is right one".

We are talking about incompatible changes. I Gregory changes the
interface to one of the classes, and I use the old interface for my
work, then all my work has to be corrected to use the new interface -
sometimes even rewritten.

What would be interesting is to have one repository and sf.net and other
at berlios.de (for example), if sf.net is down (like right now), we
could use berlios and keep working. A cool software would be one that
could automatically commit the differences to sf.net once it gets back
online. Doable?

http://njam.sourceforge.net