Default SQL for "Browse data" command

In earlier version when you "select from..." a table, it would display
table data using a select with each column prefixed with an alias
like:

select a.col1, a.col2, a.col3
from table1 a

Now the command is called "browse data" and aliases are no longer
there. This makes me mad and here's why... I rarely "just" browse
data. The generated select is a base for extending with stuff like
"JOIN ..." or "where exists ()", etc. Not having aliases is not
user-friendly because:

1. when you join with another table you can get many ambiguous fields.
You have to add alias manually to each column which is a major PITA.

2. without aliases autocomplete for column names does not work

Now, you could argue that I could use "generate code"->"select
from..." but that:

1. a couple more clicks (open submenu, (de)select columns in dialog,
click a button)
2. many time I don't know that I would need to edit SQL beforehand. I
"browse data" looking for something and only then I get the idea to
edit the SELECT statement.

</rant>

Now, does anyone have something against reverting to old behavior,
i.e. with alias prefixed to each column?

http://www.guacosoft.com

Re: Default SQL for "Browse data" command

Andre van Zuydam
Hi

I agree with Milan

I would be sad to see this functionality go,  I also make use of the aliases.  An option to set the default alias for a table or procedure would perhaps be a good feature.

On the subject of selects:

Is it possible to implement that when you browse data and you right -click and do a copy as insert / update, not to include the computed by fields in the insert or update statement ?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Milan Babuskov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Spiceware Software (Pty) Ltd

=============================
Email:  [hidden email]
Tel:    +27 83 646 4535
Fax:   +27 86 682 6944
Web:    www.spiceware.co.za

Re: Default SQL for "Browse data" command

Nando Dessena
Milan,

> Now the command is called "browse data" and aliases are no longer
> there.

it must have slipped by when switching to a template-based version. My
fault, most probably. Sorry.

> 1. when you join with another table you can get many ambiguous
> fields. You have to add alias manually to each column which is a
> major PITA.
>
> 2. without aliases autocomplete for column names does not work

<SNIP>

> Now, does anyone have something against reverting to old behavior,
> i.e. with alias prefixed to each column?

While I think that point 2 is a shortcoming in FR and should be enhanced
regardless, I agree that the alias serves a useful purpose and should
come back. Does anyone think the alias name should be configured (i.e.
parameterized) or not?

Ciao
--
Nando Dessena

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Andre van Zuydam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it possible to implement that when you browse data and you right -click and do a copy as insert / update, not to include the computed by fields in the insert or update statement ?

List of columns depends on what you select. If you don't need the
computed columns you can deselect them (ctrl+click on column header).
I find it useful to be able to copy computed fields and then
find&replace the table name to insert stuff into another table where
it is a regular columns.

http://www.guacosoft.com