Dropping of support for ancient Windows versions

Dropping of support for ancient Windows versions

Michael Hieke
Hi all,

are there any objections against

- dropping the Windows Ansi build of FlameRobin (i.e. making it
incompatible with any non-NT Windows versions as in Windows 95, Windows
98, Windows ME)?

- and moving to the VC++ 2010 or 2012 compiler (i.e. making it
incompatible with any Windows version prior to XP Service Pack 3)?

If so please speak up, otherwise I will go ahead in a couple of days
with both changes.

Re: Dropping of support for ancient Windows versions

Milan Babuskov-4
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - dropping the Windows Ansi build of FlameRobin (i.e. making it
> incompatible with any non-NT Windows versions as in Windows 95, Windows
> 98, Windows ME)?
>
> - and moving to the VC++ 2010 or 2012 compiler (i.e. making it
> incompatible with any Windows version prior to XP Service Pack 3)?

It's fine with me. Go ahead.

Anyone who needs those can run older FR.

http://www.guacosoft.com

Re: Dropping of support for ancient Windows versions

Lester Caine
Michael Hieke wrote:

> are there any objections against
>
> - dropping the Windows Ansi build of FlameRobin (i.e. making it
> incompatible with any non-NT Windows versions as in Windows 95, Windows
> 98, Windows ME)?
>
> - and moving to the VC++ 2010 or 2012 compiler (i.e. making it
> incompatible with any Windows version prior to XP Service Pack 3)?
>
> If so please speak up, otherwise I will go ahead in a couple of days
> with both changes.

Just as long as a version suitable for W2k is left available for download. I'm
jumping through hoops at the moment trying to get sites moved up to W7 but a few
sites will probably never move forward simply because of code that will not even
work on XP which is still essential to the main system.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

On 03.10.2013 09:06, Lester Caine wrote:

> Just as long as a version suitable for W2k is left available for
> download. I'm jumping through hoops at the moment trying to get
> sites moved up to W7 but a few sites will probably never move forward
> simply because of code that will not even work on XP which is still
> essential to the main system.

That's a very valid point, I still have several machines in the field
that are W2k, and since they are in production and there is no value for
the client in upgrading the OS they will stay W2k until they are retired.

So maybe a Unicode only 0.9.4 release that is W2k-compatible as the
first step?  That would only require me to downgrade Boost libraries
from version 1.54, which is no longer compatible with the MSVC++ 7.1
that is being used for the releases...

Michael Hieke wrote:

> On 03.10.2013 09:06, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> Just as long as a version suitable for W2k is left available for
>> download. I'm jumping through hoops at the moment trying to get
>> sites moved up to W7 but a few sites will probably never move forward
>> simply because of code that will not even work on XP which is still
>> essential to the main system.
>
> That's a very valid point, I still have several machines in the field
> that are W2k, and since they are in production and there is no value for
> the client in upgrading the OS they will stay W2k until they are retired.
>
> So maybe a Unicode only 0.9.4 release that is W2k-compatible as the
> first step?  That would only require me to downgrade Boost libraries
> from version 1.54, which is no longer compatible with the MSVC++ 7.1
> that is being used for the releases...

That makes perfect sense. May as well have the 'latest' version currently
available. I'm still running 0.9.2 on site, but you can gaurantee when we need
to replace a machine fast keeping the correct software may be a problem ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/

Re: Dropping of support for ancient Windows versions

marius adrian popa
Administrator
I agree , also a 0.9.4 release branch should be created were old
clients should be served win2k vc7.x
master should live in the modern world

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03.10.2013 09:06, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> Just as long as a version suitable for W2k is left available for
>> download. I'm jumping through hoops at the moment trying to get
>> sites moved up to W7 but a few sites will probably never move forward
>> simply because of code that will not even work on XP which is still
>> essential to the main system.
>
> That's a very valid point, I still have several machines in the field
> that are W2k, and since they are in production and there is no value for
> the client in upgrading the OS they will stay W2k until they are retired.
>
> So maybe a Unicode only 0.9.4 release that is W2k-compatible as the
> first step?  That would only require me to downgrade Boost libraries
> from version 1.54, which is no longer compatible with the MSVC++ 7.1
> that is being used for the releases...
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Michael Hieke

Re: Dropping of support for ancient Windows versions

new snapshots (git hash 5ece15b) for Windows 32 and 64 bit uploaded to
SourceForge.net.

The 32 bit build does no longer contain a version for Windows 9X
versions, only the Unicode build is included.  The Inno Setup created
installer should not allow the installation on Win 9X but I haven't
tested this.

All builds use Boost libraries version 1.54, for the necessary changes
to be able to compile it with MSVC++ 7.1 see

   <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/8027>

Testing and reporting on your findings would be great.

Re: Dropping of support for ancient Windowsversions

Ismael L. Donis Garcia
Is it also available for linux? (debian wheezy)

Thanks
========
| ISMAEL |
========

> new snapshots (git hash 5ece15b) for Windows 32 and 64 bit uploaded to
> SourceForge.net.
>
> The 32 bit build does no longer contain a version for Windows 9X
> versions, only the Unicode build is included.  The Inno Setup created
> installer should not allow the installation on Win 9X but I haven't
> tested this.
>
> All builds use Boost libraries version 1.54, for the necessary changes
> to be able to compile it with MSVC++ 7.1 see
>
>   <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/8027>
>
> Testing and reporting on your findings would be great.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Michael Hieke

Re: Dropping of support for ancient Windows versions

I have now also uploaded a new snapshot build for Mac OS.  It's also
built against Boost libraries version 1.54.

The updated boost.m4 file necessitated a bump of the minimum
deployment target to 10.5 (although I don't think that anyone will
even notice these days).

It's still a 32 bit only universal build for PPC and x86.  Unless I
buy a new Mac this won't change as my 10.5.8 Mac isn't updatable to a
more recent OS AFAICS.

If anyone feels like taking over the Mac OS side of FlameRobin and
looking into 64 bit Cocoa builds against wxWidgets 3.0 I'll gladly
step aside...