FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Michael Hieke
Hi all,

I'm currently looking into migrating our source code repository to git.

I have done a local test run, without configuring a user mapping for
git.  The result is:

root@srv1:/home/mh/flamerobin.git# git shortlog -se
     14  (no author) <(no author)@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
    168  babuskov <babuskov@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
     10  bart_bakker <bart_bakker@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
      9  dbi <dbi@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
      2  fikret <fikret@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
     42  mapopa <mapopa@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
    871  mbabuskov <mbabuskov@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
    977  mghie <mghie@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
    145  nandod <nandod@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>
      5  sapunidze <sapunidze@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>

Now I need to repeat the process, with a mapping of the form

   USERNAME = FULLNAME <SOMEBODY@SOMEWHERE>

but I have a hard time mapping "no author".  What should I do about this?

As for the others, I would use the names and mail addresses as seen on
<http://www.flamerobin.org/credits.php> - if you prefer anything else
please say so.

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Milan Babuskov-4
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have done a local test run, without configuring a user mapping for
> git.  The result is:
>
> root@srv1:/home/mh/flamerobin.git# git shortlog -se
>      14  (no author) <(no author)@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>

Can you see the commit data (diffs) for those?

> As for the others, I would use the names and mail addresses as seen on
> <http://www.flamerobin.org/credits.php> - if you prefer anything else
> please say so.

Fine with me. Since it maps to sf.net e-mail, one can easily change it.

Thanks,

--
Milan Babuskov
http://www.guacosoft.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Damyan Ivanov-5
In reply to this post by Michael Hieke
-=| Michael Hieke, 12.10.2012 20:43:41 +0200 |=-
>       9  dbi <dbi@4ae41972-890a-0410-a04c-d6e1943331bb>

Please use my Debian email, not the sourceforge one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Michael Hieke
In reply to this post by Michael Hieke
Hi all,

git repository is up and can be accessed as documented on
<http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=git&group_id=124340>

Commands "git branch -l" and "git tag -l" show what they should, so it
probably went pretty good, but please check things out and say whether
anything should be done differently - right now it's really no problem
to delete the git repository and repeat the migration.

But once we are sure things are in order the Subversion repository
should be disabled, and until then IMHO nothing should be committed to it.

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Nando Dessena
Thanks Michael!

What shall we do about frsvnrev.h and related stuff?

> Hi all,
>
> git repository is up and can be accessed as documented on
> <http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=git&group_id=124340>
>
> Commands "git branch -l" and "git tag -l" show what they should, so it
> probably went pretty good, but please check things out and say whether
> anything should be done differently - right now it's really no problem
> to delete the git repository and repeat the migration.
>
> But once we are sure things are in order the Subversion repository
> should be disabled, and until then IMHO nothing should be committed to it.
>
> Thanks
>

-- Nando Dessena

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Michael Hieke
Hi Nando,

Am 14.10.2012 um 16:02 schrieb Nando Dessena:

> What shall we do about frsvnrev.h and related stuff?

good question.  That should probably be removed (or adapted, see below).

The SVN revision number was IMO useful only to tell different  
snapshots of the same versions apart, and a date in ISO format would  
do just as well; something like "FlameRobin 0.9.3 (2012-10-14) (x64)"  
or even "FlameRobin 0.9.3.2012-10-14 (x64)".

What do you think?

--
Michael Hieke


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

marius adrian popa
Administrator
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nando,
>
> Am 14.10.2012 um 16:02 schrieb Nando Dessena:
>
>> What shall we do about frsvnrev.h and related stuff?
>
> good question.  That should probably be removed (or adapted, see below).
>
> The SVN revision number was IMO useful only to tell different
> snapshots of the same versions apart, and a date in ISO format would
> do just as well; something like "FlameRobin 0.9.3 (2012-10-14) (x64)"
> or even "FlameRobin 0.9.3.2012-10-14 (x64)".

Also git hash would do i guess
git log -1 --pretty=format:%h
55944a9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

marius adrian popa
Administrator
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM, marius adrian popa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Nando,
>>
>> Am 14.10.2012 um 16:02 schrieb Nando Dessena:
>>
>>> What shall we do about frsvnrev.h and related stuff?
>>
>> good question.  That should probably be removed (or adapted, see below).
>>
>> The SVN revision number was IMO useful only to tell different
>> snapshots of the same versions apart, and a date in ISO format would
>> do just as well; something like "FlameRobin 0.9.3 (2012-10-14) (x64)"
>> or even "FlameRobin 0.9.3.2012-10-14 (x64)".
>
> Also git hash would do i guess
> git log -1 --pretty=format:%h
> 55944a9


I have updated howto build it from git

http://flamerobin.org/dokuwiki/wiki/howtobuildonubuntudebian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

marius adrian popa
Administrator
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM, marius adrian popa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM, marius adrian popa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Nando,
>>>
>>> Am 14.10.2012 um 16:02 schrieb Nando Dessena:
>>>
>>>> What shall we do about frsvnrev.h and related stuff?
>>>
>>> good question.  That should probably be removed (or adapted, see below).
>>>
>>> The SVN revision number was IMO useful only to tell different
>>> snapshots of the same versions apart, and a date in ISO format would
>>> do just as well; something like "FlameRobin 0.9.3 (2012-10-14) (x64)"
>>> or even "FlameRobin 0.9.3.2012-10-14 (x64)".
>>
>> Also git hash would do i guess
>> git log -1 --pretty=format:%h
>> 55944a9
>
>
> I have updated howto build it from git
>
> http://flamerobin.org/dokuwiki/wiki/howtobuildonubuntudebian

or we could do both hash and timestamp
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1704907/how-can-i-get-my-c-code-to-automatically-print-out-its-git-version-hash

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Michael Hieke
In reply to this post by marius adrian popa
Hi Marius,

Am 14.10.2012 um 18:19 schrieb marius adrian popa:

> Also git hash would do i guess
> git log -1 --pretty=format:%h
> 55944a9

I know about the hash, but IMHO it fails to provide a value for the  
current build which is easily comparable to that of another build.  
SVN revision numbers do that, since they are easily remembered (and as  
a bonus monotonically increasing).  The date would be similar, and  
having only a single distinct value per day wouldn't be a problem for  
our slow development speed.

I couldn't remember a git hash, so it wouldn't help me in identifying  
a particular FlameRobin build.

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Milan Babuskov-4
In reply to this post by Michael Hieke
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> git repository is up and can be accessed as documented on
> <http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=git&group_id=124340>

Works fine for read-only access.

Have to tried to change something and commit? Can we all simply "push"
into sf.net repository or some other workflow is recommended?

Thanks,

--
Milan Babuskov
http://www.guacosoft.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Milan Babuskov-4
In reply to this post by marius adrian popa
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM, marius adrian popa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> or we could do both hash and timestamp
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1704907/how-can-i-get-my-c-code-to-automatically-print-out-its-git-version-hash

Not a bad idea, except that Perl script should probably be written
using something else. I won't mind it on Linux, but it really is not
common to have Perl installed on Windows.

--
Milan Babuskov
http://www.guacosoft.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Michael Hieke
In reply to this post by Milan Babuskov-4
Hi Milan,

Am 14.10.2012 um 22:18 schrieb Milan Babuskov:

> Works fine for read-only access.
>
> Have to tried to change something and commit? Can we all simply "push"
> into sf.net repository or some other workflow is recommended?

I haven't tried to push something other than the migrated local  
repository, but it should simply work for all registered developers.

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Nando Dessena
In reply to this post by Michael Hieke
Michael,

> The SVN revision number was IMO useful only to tell different
> snapshots of the same versions apart, and a date in ISO format would
> do just as well; something like "FlameRobin 0.9.3 (2012-10-14)
> (x64)" or even "FlameRobin 0.9.3.2012-10-14 (x64)".
>
> What do you think?

Do you mean build date or last pull date?
Anyway, I'm fine either way.
--
Nando Dessena


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

ELWI Automation GmbH
In reply to this post by Michael Hieke
Hi,

while trying to work with the new git repository I noticed that I can no
longer check out the subtree that I'm interested in, like I used to do
with Subversion.  I only ever checked out the "flamerobin" directory
from trunk, never saw its "junkyard", "template-project" and "tools"
siblings.

I wonder whether there is a way to do the git migration only with the
"flamerobin" directory, and keep the other directories in their own
repository (after deciding what we want to keep; "junkyard" is only of
historical interest, if that).

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

marius adrian popa
Administrator
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM, ELWI Automation GmbH
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while trying to work with the new git repository I noticed that I can no
> longer check out the subtree that I'm interested in, like I used to do
> with Subversion.  I only ever checked out the "flamerobin" directory
> from trunk, never saw its "junkyard", "template-project" and "tools"
> siblings.
>
> I wonder whether there is a way to do the git migration only with the
> "flamerobin" directory, and keep the other directories in their own
> repository (after deciding what we want to keep; "junkyard" is only of
> historical interest, if that).
I have removed the old folder and moved the flamerobin content in the
root folder
http://flamerobin.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=flamerobin/flamerobin;a=tree


Next is to generate the
frgithash.h with content from both timestamp and git hash

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
Make your web apps faster with AppDynamics
Download AppDynamics Lite for free today:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_sfd2d_oct
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Michael Hieke
On 17.10.2012 15:33, marius adrian popa wrote:

> I have removed the old folder and moved the flamerobin content in the
> root folder
> http://flamerobin.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=flamerobin/flamerobin;a=tree

Yes, but when I click on any of the "history" links in that page it is
empty but for your commit :-(

--
Michael Hieke


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
Make your web apps faster with AppDynamics
Download AppDynamics Lite for free today:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_sfd2d_oct
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

marius adrian popa
Administrator
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17.10.2012 15:33, marius adrian popa wrote:
>
>> I have removed the old folder and moved the flamerobin content in the
>> root folder
>> http://flamerobin.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=flamerobin/flamerobin;a=tree
>
> Yes, but when I click on any of the "history" links in that page it is
> empty but for your commit :-(
I will remove the last two commits and then do a proper git mv

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
Make your web apps faster with AppDynamics
Download AppDynamics Lite for free today:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_sfd2d_oct
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

marius adrian popa
Administrator
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:44 PM, marius adrian popa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 17.10.2012 15:33, marius adrian popa wrote:
>>
>>> I have removed the old folder and moved the flamerobin content in the
>>> root folder
>>> http://flamerobin.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=flamerobin/flamerobin;a=tree
>>
>> Yes, but when I click on any of the "history" links in that page it is
>> empty but for your commit :-(
> I will remove the last two commits and then do a proper git mv

I have tried a hard reset but didn't worked so now tree and history is
back with reset

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
Make your web apps faster with AppDynamics
Download AppDynamics Lite for free today:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_sfd2d_oct
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FlameRobin sources - svn to git migration

Michael Hieke
In reply to this post by Nando Dessena
On 16.10.2012 09:53, Nando Dessena wrote:

> Do you mean build date or last pull date?

A good question, and then there are also author date and commit date...


I evaded that decision for now and implemented things for the shortened
hash only; later on a build date or something can be added.

The revised script creates a new file "revisioninfo.h":

     // auto-generated by update-revision-info script
     #undef FR_VERSION_SVN
     #define FR_GIT_HASH "55944a9"

which will in turn lead to the About box in attached screen shot.

Both the update script and the code in AboutBox.cpp are able to deal
with svn or git (or neither of them).

I'll commit shortly, once I have updated the shell script to do the same
as the cmd script does.

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
Make your web apps faster with AppDynamics
Download AppDynamics Lite for free today:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_sfd2d_oct
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel

fr_about.png (41K) Download Attachment
123