FlameRobin test on Windows

Michael Hieke
Hi all,

I have posted a test version of FlameRobin:

   <http://mghie.users.sourceforge.net/flamerobin_win32_test.zip>

(a ZIP file containing only the 32 bit executables in ANSI and Unicode
version) that uses a thread to establish the database connection.  That
means that the progress dialog can be moved and cancelled, and the
progress bar is updated in indeterminate mode.  To see it in action it's
best to try to connect to a database on a server which is not available
or which doesn't exist, which so far blocks FlameRobin completely until
the connection call times out.

It would be great if people could test this and write whether anything
breaks for them (it didn't for me, yet).  I'm a little of unsure if I
should clean this up and commit...

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

Nando Dessena
Hi Michael,

> It would be great if people could test this and write whether
> anything breaks for them (it didn't for me, yet). I'm a little of
> unsure if I should clean this up and commit...

Nothing wrong here and a nice improvement IMHO.
--
Nando Dessena

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be great if people could test this and write whether anything
> breaks for them (it didn't for me, yet).  I'm a little of unsure if I
> should clean this up and commit...

Would you mind to commit the changes, or maybe to another directory
inside repository or something like that. I'd like to test it on
Linux.

http://www.guacosoft.com

Am 03.07.2012 um 12:16 schrieb Milan Babuskov:

> Would you mind to commit the changes, or maybe to another directory
> inside repository or something like that. I'd like to test it on
> Linux.

I have tried on Ubuntu 11.10, and it worked there.  Unfortunately I
had to manually edit the Makefile to get FR to build.
So first I'll need to find the necessary changes to flamerobin.bkl for
things to work OOTB.  I look into it as soon as I find the time and
post here, stay tuned.

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

Michael Hieke
> So first I'll need to find the necessary changes to flamerobin.bkl for
> things to work OOTB.  I look into it as soon as I find the time and
> post here, stay tuned.

I have updated build files and BUILD.txt as promised.  On Ubuntu
FlameRobin builds again for me after running "../configure && make
clean && make", provided both libboost-dev and libboost-thread-dev are
installed.

On Windows installing and building a recent Boost version is
necessary, also setting the BOOST_ROOT and BOOST_LIB_DIR environment
variables.

More in the BUILD.txt file.

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

Milan Babuskov-4
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have updated build files and BUILD.txt as promised.  On Ubuntu
> FlameRobin builds again for me after running "../configure && make
> clean && make", provided both libboost-dev and libboost-thread-dev are
> installed.

Works great! Well done. This is a nice and very useful improvement.
I'll be using this version for my everyday work from now on.

http://www.guacosoft.com

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be great if people could test this and write whether anything
> breaks for them (it didn't for me, yet).

The issue is mostly visible with older versions of Firebird:

http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/drivers_documentation/python/3.3.0/thread-safety-overview.html

In particular, I remember seeing a race condition myself when using
Firebird 1.0 on Windows. Since connection dialog is modal, this
shouldn't pose a problem anyway.

http://www.guacosoft.com

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

Nando Dessena
Michael,
it is probably unrelated, but that build crashes on my (x64) when
executing a query. I am back to my build now.

--
Nando Dessena

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Nando Dessena <[hidden email]> wrote:
> it is probably unrelated, but that build crashes on my (x64) when
> executing a query. I am back to my build now.

Hi Nando,

it would be interesting to know which version of Firebird are you
using and how do you access it (local machine or remote one).

http://www.guacosoft.com

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

Nando Dessena
Milan,

> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Nando Dessena <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> it is probably unrelated, but that build crashes on my (x64) when
>> executing a query. I am back to my build now.
>
> Hi Nando,
>
> it would be interesting to know which version of Firebird are you
> using and how do you access it (local machine or remote one).

it's a local Firebird 2.5, but I have also tried on a Firebird 2.0 on a
Linux VM and it crashes all the same.
--
Nando Dessena

On 07.07.2012 15:56, Nando Dessena wrote:

> it is probably unrelated, but that build crashes on my (x64) when
> executing a query. I am back to my build now.

thanks for the report - the executable crashes on my build VM as well
(had to install a Firebird client first to try it out), yet it works
fine on my normal development machine.  I'm currently rebuilding
wxWidgets and FlameRobin from fresh checkouts and see how it goes, if
the builds start to work on the build VM I will update the test ZIP file
on the web space and notify you.

Thanks again

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

Michael Hieke
Hi Nando,

I have uploaded a fixed ZIP file under the same address:

   <http://mghie.users.sourceforge.net/flamerobin_win32_test.zip>

which does work for me as intended - hopefully it works now for you too.
  Looks like the build was somehow corrupt, and rebuilding everything
fixed things.

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

Nando Dessena
Michael,

> Hi Nando,
>
> I have uploaded a fixed ZIP file under the same address:
>
> <http://mghie.users.sourceforge.net/flamerobin_win32_test.zip>
>
> which does work for me as intended - hopefully it works now for you
> too. Looks like the build was somehow corrupt, and rebuilding
> everything fixed things.

Confirmed. Thanks.
--
Nando Dessena

Re: FlameRobin test on Windows

Hi all,

I have now deleted the test file and updated the snapshot files for
Windows (both 32 and 64 bit) and for Mac OS X to SVN revision 2221.