[Fwd: Re: windres and automake]

Milan Babuskov-2
Hi Michael,

I don't know if this solution helps us. Do configure.ac and Makefile.am
get rebuilt by bakefile or not?

Re: [Fwd: Re: windres and automake]

Michael Hieke
Milan,

Milan Babuskov wrote:

> I don't know if this solution helps us. Do configure.ac and
> Makefile.am get rebuilt by bakefile or not?

I have seen the postings in this thread too.  Unfortunately we have
neither configure.ac nor Makefile.am.  But I'm looking into it, maybe we
can add something similar to the bash script David posted directly to
configure.in.

> In Makefile.am
>
> .rc.o:
>     windres @WX_INCLUDES@ -o $@ $<

This does not help us, as Makefile.in (with all rules) is created by
Bakefile.  Maybe adding <include>@WX_INCLUDES@</include> to
flamerobin.bkl does the trick.  But that would give a garbage include
directory to compilers...

Re: [Fwd: Re: windres and automake]

Milan Babuskov-5
Michael Hieke wrote:

> I have seen the postings in this thread too.  Unfortunately we have
> neither configure.ac nor Makefile.am.  But I'm looking into it, maybe we
> can add something similar to the bash script David posted directly to
> configure.in.
>
>> In Makefile.am
>>
>> .rc.o:
>>     windres @WX_INCLUDES@ -o $@ $<
>

> This does not help us, as Makefile.in (with all rules) is created by
> Bakefile.  Maybe adding <include>@WX_INCLUDES@</include> to
> flamerobin.bkl does the trick.  But that would give a garbage include
> directory to compilers...

I don't like that too much.

Perhaps we could ask Vaclav Slavik to add support for windres in
bakefile? I mean, I would, but I don't even know what exactly to ask of him.

Thanx,
http://fbexport.sourceforge.net

Re: [Fwd: Re: windres and automake]

Michael Hieke-2
Milan,

Milan Babuskov wrote:

>> This does not help us, as Makefile.in (with all rules) is created
>> by Bakefile.  Maybe adding <include>@WX_INCLUDES@</include> to
>> flamerobin.bkl does the trick.  But that would give a garbage
>> include directory to compilers...
>
> I don't like that too much.

well, me neither :-(

> Perhaps we could ask Vaclav Slavik to add support for windres in
> bakefile? I mean, I would, but I don't even know what exactly to ask
> of him.

According to David Elliot it's not something to do with Bakefile.  To
quote him:

> Perhaps we could add something like that to wxwin.m4.  I hesitate to
> say add it to wx-config itself because it's so damn easy to get the
> flags based off the compiler flags it hardly makes sense to bloat wx-
> config with it.

There is in fact a tag <res-include> in Bakefile, adding the include
only to the res compiler invocation.  But that one is not used in the
autoconf backend.  It could help us, as a work-around.  But it does not
really belong into Bakefile.  A modification of wxwin.m4 would indeed be
the best.  Unfortunately it won't be available to us for a long time,
even if they implement it right away.  wx 2.6.3 at the earliest...

Michael Hieke wrote:

> There is in fact a tag <res-include> in Bakefile, adding the include
> only to the res compiler invocation.  But that one is not used in
> the autoconf backend.  It could help us, as a work-around.

I have committed a (somewhat hackish) fix.  It should work, as long as
you have the environment variable WXDIR pointing to the right directory.
  That is not necessary for configure-based Windows build, but it's the
best I can come up with for now.

NOTE: WXDIR has to use a valid MSYS path!

HTH

Michael Hieke wrote:
>> Perhaps we could add something like that to wxwin.m4.  I hesitate to
>> say add it to wx-config itself because it's so damn easy to get the
>> flags based off the compiler flags it hardly makes sense to bloat wx-
>> config with it.

I must admit, I don't understand most of things here (not that I even
tried), but...

> A modification of wxwin.m4 would indeed be
> the best.  Unfortunately it won't be available to us for a long time,
> even if they implement it right away.  wx 2.6.3 at the earliest...

...it would be great you could ask them to do it. I'm sure wx2.6.3 will
be out once. :)

Thanx,

Michael Hieke wrote:

>> There is in fact a tag <res-include> in Bakefile, adding the include
>> only to the res compiler invocation.  But that one is not used in
>> the autoconf backend.  It could help us, as a work-around.
>
> I have committed a (somewhat hackish) fix.  It should work, as long as
> you have the environment variable WXDIR pointing to the right directory.
>  That is not necessary for configure-based Windows build, but it's the
> best I can come up with for now.
>
> NOTE: WXDIR has to use a valid MSYS path!

Ok, thanx.