New FR release

12

New FR release

Michael Hieke-2
Milan, Nando,

what do you think, should we release current FR as 0.4.5 before the
conference?

Re: New FR release

Milan Babuskov-2
Michael Hieke wrote:
> what do you think, should we release current FR as 0.4.5 before the
> conference?

I have thought about it, and don't think it's necessary. But, maybe it
isn't a bad idea. I'm a little bit short of time right now as I still
need a lot of work on my "Events" paper for the conference, but I won't
have trouble building and uploading the Linux and source packages.

I guess it depends on Nando's availiablity and decision whether to
update the docs or leave it in 0.4.0 state.

I even thought about making a Live CD based on Knoppix with Firebird and
FlameRobin on it, and sharing it a the conference, but I'm not sure the
time would allow.

Re: New FR release

Michael Hieke-2
Milan,

Milan Babuskov wrote:

> I have thought about it, and don't think it's necessary. But, maybe
> it isn't a bad idea.

If (as I suppose) you will use FlameRobin for your FB events talk, then
it would indeed be better if the available (as a download) version had
the event watcher frame.  Just my 0.02 EUR.

> I guess it depends on Nando's availiablity and decision whether to
> update the docs or leave it in 0.4.0 state.

Yes, true.

elwi elektronik GmbH, Dresden Boxdorf
Tel: 0351/48102 -42
Fax: 0351/48102 -50

Re: New FR release

Nando Dessena
Milan, Michael,

>> I have thought about it, and don't think it's necessary. But, maybe
>> it isn't a bad idea.

MH> If (as I suppose) you will use FlameRobin for your FB events talk, then
MH> it would indeed be better if the available (as a download) version had
MH> the event watcher frame.  Just my 0.02 EUR.

I also think a 0.4.5 release is in order.

>> I guess it depends on Nando's availiablity and decision whether to
>> update the docs or leave it in 0.4.0 state.

MH> Yes, true.

Sorry but my availability is very scarce ATM. Anyway, if someone
updates the changelog I'll see what I can do on the docs and release
the Windows version.

Ciao
--
Nando Dessena

Re: New FR release

Michael Hieke wrote:
>> I have thought about it, and don't think it's necessary. But, maybe
>> it isn't a bad idea.
>
> If (as I suppose) you will use FlameRobin for your FB events talk

I sure will :)

> it would indeed be better if the available (as a download) version had
> the event watcher frame.  Just my 0.02 EUR.

Point taken. I would be running a CVS version anyway, but you're right.
People might start asking what version is that, and why have we been
hiding such an important feature ;)

Re: New FR release

Milan Babuskov-5
Milan Babuskov wrote:
>> If (as I suppose) you will use FlameRobin for your FB events talk
>
> I sure will :)

It looks like using the current CVS version for it wouldn't be a such a
good idea after all. Olivier changed some things in event handling and
now I get quite unexpected things. The event handling code in 2.4.5.0
seems unpredictable. With previous version we were at least able to work
around it, and now I'm not even sure what's going on.

I've just tested, but I need to investigate a little bit more before I
contact Olivier. He told me few hours ago that I should test new event
handling stuff after the Conference, which really looks like a good idea
right now.

I'm really not sure what to do now. There isn't much time to hunt down
the error in IBPP or trying to find another workaround. Perhaps we could
revert IBPP to previous version, if we really want to make a release?

Re: New FR release

Michael Hieke-2
Milan,

Milan Babuskov wrote:

> I'm really not sure what to do now. There isn't much time to hunt
> down the error in IBPP or trying to find another workaround. Perhaps
> we could revert IBPP to previous version, if we really want to make a
> release?

looks like reverting to previous IBPP version is the best thing to do.
I will do it today.

Re: New FR release

Olivier Mascia
Le 09-nov.-05 à 08:59, Michael Hieke a écrit :

> Milan,
>
> Milan Babuskov wrote:
>
>> I'm really not sure what to do now. There isn't much time to hunt
>> down the error in IBPP or trying to find another workaround. Perhaps
>> we could revert IBPP to previous version, if we really want to make a
>> release?
>
> looks like reverting to previous IBPP version is the best thing to
> do. I will do it today.

Depends.
I'm on it since this morning.
There is very few lines changed and I think I have the flaw right
under the eyes.
It is more than probable that the 2.4.5.0 will be replaced by 2.4.5.1
before noon today.

Now, yes, using the latest beta 2.4 or using the fixed rel 2.4 will
be quite identical (since there so few lines changed between both).
So if you feel more comfortable reverting to latest beta which you
embedded before, I understand and can't find arguments against it.
We're so close to the conference.

--
Olivier

Re: New FR release

Olivier Mascia
Le 09-nov.-05 à 08:59, Michael Hieke a écrit :

> looks like reverting to previous IBPP version is the best thing to
> do. I will do it today.

Could you update the released 2.4.5.0 according to this (attached)
patch and confirm me that it fixes the "unexpected results" Milan
mentionned ?
I'm sure it will. But better a confirmation than a supposition.
Thanks !

--
Olivier

rel_2_4.patch (10K) Download Attachment

Re: New FR release

Michael Hieke-2
Olivier,

Olivier Mascia wrote:

> Could you update the released 2.4.5.0 according to this (attached)
> patch and confirm me that it fixes the "unexpected results" Milan
> mentionned ?

since I don't know what Milan tested, and what the problems were, let's
hear from him whether this works as expected.  I don't know how much
time he has for it, as he's working on the conference material.  FR CVS
has the changes in event handling reverted ATM.

Re: New FR release

Olivier Mascia wrote:
> Could you update the released 2.4.5.0 according to this (attached)
> patch and confirm me that it fixes the "unexpected results" Milan
> mentionned ?
> I'm sure it will. But better a confirmation than a supposition.

The problems seem random. Sometimes I got no phantom events when
removing from the list, and sometimes I do. I haven't yet figured out
what's causing it.

What did I test: I registered for 100 events and POST 10 of those from a
SP. When I unregister some of those 100, sometimes I get phantoms and
sometimes not.

I will test with this new patch, but can't promise when as my time is
really scarce right now. I even had to delay some other more important
stuff until after the Conference.

If we're going to release 0.4.5, then let's do it with current CVS version.

P.S. I've read some posts from fb mailing lists about similar problems,
and the problem was something about copying old counts to new buffer so
it doesn't get reset or something like that. If the latest patch doesn't
work, I'll look into it.

http://fbexport.sourceforge.net

Re: New FR release

Milan Babuskov-5
Milan Babuskov wrote:
>> Could you update the released 2.4.5.0 according to this (attached)
>> patch and confirm me that it fixes the "unexpected results" Milan
>> mentionned ?
>> I'm sure it will. But better a confirmation than a supposition.
>
> The problems seem random. Sometimes I got no phantom events when
> removing from the list, and sometimes I do. I haven't yet figured out
> what's causing it.

My appologies guys. I tested again with old version and I can get
unpredictable behavior there too. Needs a little more messing around to
make it happen, but it does happen.

So, perhaps we should go with latest Olivier's patches no matter what,
as it can't get much worse anyway.

Re: New FR release

Olivier Mascia
Le 09-nov.-05 à 13:04, Milan Babuskov a écrit :

> My appologies guys. I tested again with old version and I can get
> unpredictable behavior there too. Needs a little more messing
> around to make it happen, but it does happen.

Okay, then when we'll both have more time (which means after
conference at least), what I'll need is a kind of description of what
steps you mean by "messing around".

> So, perhaps we should go with latest Olivier's patches no matter
> what, as it can't get much worse anyway.

Tested here (in between) in an old program which was working
flawlessly in the past with older ibpp versions : still works
flawlessly. But that one may not be "messing around", so it's not the
best test-case.

--
Olivier

Re: New FR release

Milan Babuskov-2
Olivier Mascia wrote:
> Okay, then when we'll both have more time (which means after  conference
> at least), what I'll need is a kind of description of what  steps you
> mean by "messing around".

Sure. If nothing else, I'll give you a live demo of "messing around" at
the Conference :)

But not during my Events session ;)

Anyway, here's what I do: I register for a bunch of events named EVENT_1
through EVENT_200. I create a SP like this:

create procedure BATCH_POST
as
declare variable nr integer;
begin
        nr = 10;
        while (nr < 20) do
        begin
                post_event 'EVENT_'||nr;
                nr = nr + 1;
        end
end

1. I execute the SP and commit.
2. Then I remove some events (using the old method: Clear + Define all
those left).
3. I randomly repeat 1 or 2 until phantom notification comes up

All this time experimenting I found out that it happens when:
- I remove many events at once
- I execute SP at least twice
- I remove some events that did fire together and some that didn't

I'm not sure which of these is relevant, but if you do it all it will
surely surface.

Re: New FR release

Olivier Mascia
Le 09-nov.-05 à 15:30, Milan Babuskov a écrit :

> 2. Then I remove some events (using the old method: Clear + Define
> all those left).

That's the only thing that seems a bit problematic.
When removing them all this way (yeah I know this was the only way to
do it until 2.4.5), the whole vectors which used to store the counts
are destroyed. It is very difficult to know for sure what you will
get triggered or not when you re-define them all. Because of the
delays between :

- the time the commit happens
- the FB client is notified
- the FB client consider to notify IBPP by calling the call back

I would recommend a new test (but no hurry) where you drop those
events that you need to drop by using the new Database::DropEvent. It
will drop a single event, and the "context" for the others should not
be lost.

--
Olivier

Re: New FR release

Milan Babuskov-5
Olivier Mascia wrote:
> I would recommend a new test (but no hurry) where you drop those  events
> that you need to drop by using the new Database::DropEvent. It  will
> drop a single event, and the "context" for the others should not  be lost.

Ok, sounds reasonable. If this works, we could add a separate "Clear"
button in case someone wants to remove a lot of events quickly (I guess
removing a lot of events one by one would be slow, just like adding them).

BTW, I see that limit to event name is 127 characters. Is that limit
imposed by Firebird API? Has it changed for various FB versions?

Le 09-nov.-05 à 23:22, Milan Babuskov a écrit :

> BTW, I see that limit to event name is 127 characters. Is that
> limit imposed by Firebird API? Has it changed for various FB versions?

It is limited to the constant MAXEVENTNAMELEN from ibase.h.
If this is updated in more recent versions of FB, then the user
should recompile ibpp using the adequate ibase.h from his/her FB distro.

But I hope for safety that they don't even consider changing that
limit for years.

--
Olivier

Re: New FR release

Michael Hieke wrote:
> what do you think, should we release current FR as 0.4.5 before the
> conference?

Guys, if we're to do 0.4.5 release, it has to be today, as I won't have
Internet access after 20:00 this evening. Just confirm that we are going
for it, and I'll take some time to update the changes file...

Re: New FR release

Milan Babuskov-5
Milan Babuskov wrote:
> Guys, if we're to do 0.4.5 release, it has to be today, as I won't have
> Internet access after 20:00 this evening. Just confirm that we are going
> for it, and I'll take some time to update the changes file...

Nevermind, I updated the changes file. There weren't many changes after
all. Ok, shall I make the packages (gtk1, gtk2, src) and upload?

Milan Babuskov wrote:

> Nevermind, I updated the changes file. There weren't many changes
> after all. Ok, shall I make the packages (gtk1, gtk2, src) and
> upload?

yes, I thiunk so.  Did you also tag the sources?  I would build the Mac
OS X version this evening or tomorrow, and post it to the test area.  I
understand you can not release it after 20:00 today, but maybe Nando
can; or we have net access in Prague.

12