Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Ismael L. Donis Garcia
Flamerobin 0.9.3.2246 not yet shows the values for defaults of the tab when you give secondary click properties. Already corrected the sight in the tab DLL.

For Example:
Show
Field           Type                Not Null    Default
NO_R         INTEGER            x
CANCEL   SMALLINT          x

And it should show
Field          Type               Not Null    Default
NO_R         INTEGER           x                1
CANCEL   SMALLINT         x                0

Best Regards
=========
|| ISMAEL ||
=========

Re: Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Michael Hieke
Hi Ismael,

On 22.10.2012 20:03, Ismael L. Donis Garcia wrote:

> Flamerobin 0.9.3.2246 not yet shows the values for defaults of the tab
> when you give secondary click properties. Already corrected the sight in
> the tab DLL.

I'm not able to reproduce this. Do you mean column defaults for a table
or parameter defaults for a procedure? I can see both in my tests, so
please post a small snippet of DDL to create the database objects that
show the problem.

Re: Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Milan Babuskov-4
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Flamerobin 0.9.3.2246 not yet shows the values for defaults of the tab
>> when you give secondary click properties. Already corrected the sight in
>> the tab DLL.
>
> I'm not able to reproduce this. Do you mean column defaults for a table
> or parameter defaults for a procedure? I can see both in my tests, so
> please post a small snippet of DDL to create the database objects that
> show the problem.

Showing defaults is configurable in Preferences. Maybe it's off?

http://www.guacosoft.com

Re: Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Ismael L. Donis Garcia
No, it is configured. Showing defaults - Yes

DB - Default Character Set ISO8859_1

CREATE DOMAIN SIN_NNULL
 AS SMALLINT
 NOT NULL;

CREATE DOMAIN VCH_35_NNULL
 AS VARCHAR(35)
 NOT NULL
 COLLATE ES_ES_CI_AI;

CREATE DOMAIN INT_NNULL_1
 AS INTEGER
 DEFAULT 1
 NOT NULL;

CREATE DOMAIN SIN_NNULL_0
 AS SMALLINT
 DEFAULT 0
 NOT NULL;

CREATE DOMAIN INT_NNULL
 AS INTEGER
 NOT NULL;

CREATE TABLE VTALM
(
  NOA SIN_NNULL,
  NOMBRE VCH_35_NNULL,
  NO_R INT_NNULL_1,
  NO_I INT_NNULL_1,
  NO_F INT_NNULL_1,
  NO_DI INT_NNULL_1,
  NO_DF INT_NNULL_1,
  NO_FP INT_NNULL_1,
  CANCEL SIN_NNULL_0,
  ANO SIN_NNULL_0,
  IDAC INT_NNULL,
  IDA INT_NNULL,
  CONSTRAINT PK_VTALM PRIMARY KEY (IDA)
);

In Windows with flamerobin 0.9.3.2246 no show defaults value.

In Debian Squeeze with flamerobin 0.9.3.2220-1 yes show defaults value.

Best Regards
=========
|| ISMAEL ||
=========

On 27.10.2012 17:59, Ismael L. Donis Garcia wrote:

> CREATE TABLE VTALM
> (
>    NOA SIN_NNULL,
>    NOMBRE VCH_35_NNULL,
>    NO_R INT_NNULL_1,
>    NO_I INT_NNULL_1,
>    NO_F INT_NNULL_1,
>    NO_DI INT_NNULL_1,
>    NO_DF INT_NNULL_1,
>    NO_FP INT_NNULL_1,
>    CANCEL SIN_NNULL_0,
>    ANO SIN_NNULL_0,
>    IDAC INT_NNULL,
>    IDA INT_NNULL,
>    CONSTRAINT PK_VTALM PRIMARY KEY (IDA)
> );

Since none of these columns has a default I believe it to be correct
that none are shown.  The defaults are those of the domains, which can
be seen in the domain properties.

Interestingly property pages show the domain names for me, so it's more
visible that there may be additional constraints.  Must be some
difference in the settings?

> In Windows with flamerobin 0.9.3.2246 no show defaults value.
>
> In Debian Squeeze with flamerobin 0.9.3.2220-1 yes show defaults value.

While adding code to handle nullability and default values for procedure
parameters I seem to have changed the behaviour for tables as well, but
as written above I believe it to be more correct now.

Maybe that's not a shared feeling?  Should this work differently, and if
so then how?

Re: Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Assuming were only talking about property pages, my stance is the following:

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since none of these columns has a default I believe it to be correct
> that none are shown.  The defaults are those of the domains, which can
> be seen in the domain properties.

While I agree with this line of reasoning, we should see what is most
sensible thing from user's POV. Here's my perspective as a user, but I
might not be a representative case:

One use case is when you need to know if column is going to be
populated with default or not (for example, if you're writing an
insert statement in you application) and which is that default. Having
the default value available regardless of the source would be useful
in this case.

Other use case is when you want to know if the column itself has
default, but I somehow feel this does not happen as often as the above
case, and it's easier to see this on DDL page than it is to chase each
domain definition in the first case.

I don't know of a third use case... ;)

> Interestingly property pages show the domain names for me, so it's more
> visible that there may be additional constraints.  Must be some
> difference in the settings?

There is a setting called "if column is based on domain...", with
options like "show only datatype", "show both datatype and domain" and
"show only domain" or something like that. I believe the latter two
show the full domain definition with defaults. It is in "Fields"
section of Preferences.

http://www.guacosoft.com

On 28.10.2012 01:11, Milan Babuskov wrote:

> While I agree with this line of reasoning, we should see what is most
> sensible thing from user's POV. Here's my perspective as a user, but I
> might not be a representative case:
>
> One use case is when you need to know if column is going to be
> populated with default or not (for example, if you're writing an
> insert statement in you application) and which is that default. Having
> the default value available regardless of the source would be useful
> in this case.

Modified accordingly.  It's easy to change if we want to, just different
parameters to set for the relevant property getters.

Re: Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Ismael L. Donis Garcia
> Assuming were only talking about property pages, my stance is the following:
>
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Since none of these columns has a default I believe it to be correct
>> that none are shown.  The defaults are those of the domains, which can
>> be seen in the domain properties.
>
> While I agree with this line of reasoning, we should see what is most
> sensible thing from user's POV. Here's my perspective as a user, but I
> might not be a representative case:
>
> One use case is when you need to know if column is going to be
> populated with default or not (for example, if you're writing an
> insert statement in you application) and which is that default. Having
> the default value available regardless of the source would be useful
> in this case.
>
> Other use case is when you want to know if the column itself has
> default, but I somehow feel this does not happen as often as the above
> case, and it's easier to see this on DDL page than it is to chase each
> domain definition in the first case.
>
> I don't know of a third use case... ;)
>
>> Interestingly property pages show the domain names for me, so it's more
>> visible that there may be additional constraints.  Must be some
>> difference in the settings?
>
> There is a setting called "if column is based on domain...", with
> options like "show only datatype", "show both datatype and domain" and
> "show only domain" or something like that. I believe the latter two
> show the full domain definition with defaults. It is in "Fields"
> section of Preferences.

But with that property you do not show the value by default.

And I keep on believing that if should appear although inherit of a domains.
For my understanding it is an error as it is now. I consider than the version the one that works correctly is 0.9.3.2220
> Regards,
>
> Milan Babuskov
> http://www.guacosoft.com

Best Regards
=========
|| ISMAEL ||
=========

Re: Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Ismael L. Donis Garcia
> On 28.10.2012 01:11, Milan Babuskov wrote:
>
>> While I agree with this line of reasoning, we should see what is most
>> sensible thing from user's POV. Here's my perspective as a user, but I
>> might not be a representative case:
>>
>> One use case is when you need to know if column is going to be
>> populated with default or not (for example, if you're writing an
>> insert statement in you application) and which is that default. Having
>> the default value available regardless of the source would be useful
>> in this case.
>
> Modified accordingly.  It's easy to change if we want to, just different
> parameters to set for the relevant property getters.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Hieke

For my understanding if it should be modified in order that he shows values.
I believe that it is the correct thing.

Best Regards
=========
|| ISMAEL ||
=========

Re: Problem with flameRobin 0.9.3.46 in win 32

Ismael L. Donis Garcia
> Since none of these columns has a default I believe it to be correct
> that none are shown.  The defaults are those of the domains, which can
> be seen in the domain properties.
>
> Interestingly property pages show the domain names for me, so it's more
> visible that there may be additional constraints.  Must be some
> difference in the settings?
>
>> In Windows with flamerobin 0.9.3.2246 no show defaults value.
>>
>> In Debian Squeeze with flamerobin 0.9.3.2220-1 yes show defaults value.
>
> While adding code to handle nullability and default values for procedure
> parameters I seem to have changed the behaviour for tables as well, but
> as written above I believe it to be more correct now.
>
> Maybe that's not a shared feeling?  Should this work differently, and if
> so then how?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Hieke

I already see it solved in the version 0.9.3.1186200

Best Regards
=========
|| ISMAEL ||
=========