Profiling on Linux

Milan Babuskov-5
Hi all,

I setup callgrind/valgrind/kcachegrind environment on Linux, so I can
visually profile FlameRobin. At FBcon Michael showed me a similar tool
for Mac OSX and I was impressed. KCacheGrind is not that user friendly,
but seems quite usable.

My first task was to find out why opening the first HTML properties
dialog takes so much time. So, I ran it, and the result is a whole lot
of calls under wxMimeTypeManagerImpl::Init().

Reading the wx docs, it says:

"Global instance of wxMimeTypesManager is always available. It is
recommended to use this instance instead of creating your own because
gathering MIME information may take quite a long on Unix systems."

Well, still it needs to be initialized once, and that takes so much time.

It is apparently initialized from wxHtml code. I'm not sure we really
need it, but can't find a way to disable it.

Re: Profiling on Linux

Milan Babuskov-5
Milan Babuskov wrote:
> "Global instance of wxMimeTypesManager is always available. It is
> recommended to use this instance instead of creating your own because
> gathering MIME information may take quite a long on Unix systems."
>
> Well, still it needs to be initialized once, and that takes so much time.
>
> It is apparently initialized from wxHtml code. I'm not sure we really
> need it, but can't find a way to disable it.

Well, I did. I reconfigured wxWidgets with additional:

./configure --disable-mimetype --disable-debugreport

First one actually disables the mimetype system. Other is needed since
it uses it. You can still use --enablde-debug in this setup, since
debug-report is only for reporting not the debugging itself.