RFC: UI to register for and log events

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RFC: UI to register for and log events

Milan Babuskov-2
Hi all,

We have this item in our roadmap. I'd like to implement it (so I can
test my event-stuff for conference), so I'd like to discuss the details:
how should the GUI look and work.

Michael, do you have some ideas already. I was thinking something like
this: a separate frame/dialog which looks like this:

+----------------+------------------+
|list of         |log               |
|registered      |                  |
|events          |                  |
|                |                  |
|                |                  |
|                |                  |
+----------------+------------------+
| [add] [remove] [load] [save]      |
+-----------------------------------+

Button [add] prompts user for event name, and adds it to the list
(registers for it). The [remove] button, removes the selected event from
the list. The list is a simple wxListBox. The [load] and [save] buttons
would load and save the list to a simple text file, so user doesn't have
to type it in each time.

"Log" is another list box that shows what events get captured. Each line
would display an entry like this:

[date&time] [event name] [count]

Alternatively, we could use wxSTC to make nice colored output: date&time
in black, event name in green, count in blue or something like that.

Ideas?

--
Milan Babuskov
http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
http://www.flamerobin.org



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: UI to register for and log events

Milan Babuskov-2
Milan Babuskov wrote:
> Ideas?

I forgot an important issue. Since we don't want to block FR while
waiting for events, the "event watcher" should run in a separate thread
or something like that. There are few options:

- separate thread
- wxTimer
- onIdle

AFAIK, OnIdle is unreliable on Linux (you have to move the mouse around
or something like that), so that's not an option. I'm not sure about
wxTimer. Any experiences with it?

Separate thread requires a secondary connection. What should happen if
we "disconnect" the main connection? Let it running, kill it or popup a
message box and let user decide?

--
Milan Babuskov
http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
http://www.flamerobin.org



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: UI to register for and log events

Michael Hieke
In reply to this post by Milan Babuskov-2
Milan,

Milan Babuskov wrote:

> We have this item in our roadmap. I'd like to implement it (so I can
> test my event-stuff for conference), so I'd like to discuss the details:
> how should the GUI look and work.

I see you have done the work already, I introduced styleguide() stuff.

> Alternatively, we could use wxSTC to make nice colored output:
> date&time in black, event name in green, count in blue or something
> like that.

I like the STC for the log.  The listbox isn't the best thing yet,
adding several events is too tedious.  I would prefer a text control
there, with a command button like "Update event list" instead of "Add"
and "Remove".  Alternatively we could allow for several events to be
added at the same time, splitting the returned string at whitespace,
commas, semicolons and the like.  What do you think?

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: UI to register for and log events

Michael Hieke
In reply to this post by Milan Babuskov-2
Milan,

Milan Babuskov wrote:

> Separate thread requires a secondary connection. What should happen if
> we "disconnect" the main connection? Let it running, kill it or popup a
> message box and let user decide?

the timer solution you used is good, as far as FR is concerned.
Unfortunately IBPP gives us no solution but to poll for received event
notifications.  Ideally we would have a way to register a notification
function with IBPP, whiich could then post a wxEvent to the watcher frame.
There is also a problem in IBPP with concurrent access to EPB fields
from different threads, but that is something for the IBPP list.

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: UI to register for and log events

Milan Babuskov-5
Michael Hieke wrote:
>> Separate thread requires a secondary connection. What should happen if
>> we "disconnect" the main connection? Let it running, kill it or popup
>> a message box and let user decide?
>
> the timer solution you used is good, as far as FR is concerned.
> Unfortunately IBPP gives us no solution but to poll for received event
> notifications.  Ideally we would have a way to register a notification
> function with IBPP, whiich could then post a wxEvent to the watcher frame.

Yep, I figured that too while I was writing the code.

--
Milan Babuskov
http://abrick.sourceforge.net



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: UI to register for and log events

Milan Babuskov-5
In reply to this post by Michael Hieke
Michael Hieke wrote:
>> We have this item in our roadmap. I'd like to implement it (so I can
>> test my event-stuff for conference), so I'd like to discuss the
>> details: how should the GUI look and work.
>
> I see you have done the work already, I introduced styleguide() stuff.

Great! I was going to do the same myself, but lost the entire weekend
configuring my 64bit system. Finally (few minutes ago) I managed to build FR
the way I want it (well, almost - it didn't work with GTK2, only GTK1). So,
now I'm back with FR.

Anyway, I see that you changed the way start/stop button works, which was also
one of the things I planned (after seeing problems with in different versions).

>> Alternatively, we could use wxSTC to make nice colored output:
>> date&time in black, event name in green, count in blue or something
>> like that.
>
> I like the STC for the log.  The listbox isn't the best thing yet,
> adding several events is too tedious.  I would prefer a text control
> there, with a command button like "Update event list" instead of "Add"
> and "Remove"

Hm, not a bad idea. I like the idea of stricly knowing what is and what is not
monitored, but OTOH perhaps load/save won't be needed at all then (copy/paste
to notepad ;)

Perhaps we could color the item differently once user "Updates event list", so
edits are clearly visible.

> Alternatively we could allow for several events to be
> added at the same time, splitting the returned string at whitespace,
> commas, semicolons and the like.  What do you think?

I was thinking about it, therefore the load and save buttons. I event thought
about advanced usages like: add events between MY_EVENT_1 and MY_EVENT_100.
But then I figured that user can easily dump the list in .txt file and load
it. Your idea with editable list is probably even better.

One of the reasons not to do it would be that "remove selected" option, which
is quite useful: you can select multiple events or ranges with Ctrl/Shift key
and remove them. Editing rows out is a little awkward when there are too many
to remove. So, I'm not really sure what is the best idea...

...I think I figured it out: leave everything as it is, but change the dialog
for "Add event" button. Instead of single-line text entry, it would display a
multiline one, where user can copy/paste a lot of items. We can use
MultilineEnterDialog for this.



Also, I have some ideas about Database's menu, if it grows any more it would
be huge. Perhaps we should make a "Tools" submenu with:

- backup
- restore
- show connected users
- monitor events

What you think?

--
Milan Babuskov
http://abrick.sourceforge.net



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: UI to register for and log events

Michael Hieke
Milan,

Milan Babuskov wrote:

> ...I think I figured it out: leave everything as it is, but change
> the dialog for "Add event" button. Instead of single-line text entry,
> it would display a multiline one, where user can copy/paste a lot of
> items. We can use MultilineEnterDialog for this.

Agreed, looks like the best solution.

> Also, I have some ideas about Database's menu, if it grows any more
> it would be huge. Perhaps we should make a "Tools" submenu with:
>
> - backup
> - restore
> - show connected users
> - monitor events
>
> What you think?

Yes, the menu is getting crowded, and it could really use a little
reordering.  But maybe we can leave this for the moment, as I would like
to finish the FieldPropertiesDialog first.  I will think about it then.

Thanks

--
Michael Hieke



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RFC: UI to register for and log events

Milan Babuskov-2
Michael Hieke wrote:
>> ...I think I figured it out: leave everything as it is, but change
>> the dialog for "Add event" button. Instead of single-line text entry,
>> it would display a multiline one, where user can copy/paste a lot of
>> items. We can use MultilineEnterDialog for this.
>
> Agreed, looks like the best solution.

I'll work on it as I want to fix some other things too (if you read ibpp
list you know what it is about).

>> Also, I have some ideas about Database's menu, if it grows any more
>> it would be huge. Perhaps we should make a "Tools" submenu with:
>>
>> - backup
>> - restore
>> - show connected users
>> - monitor events
>>
>> What you think?
>
> Yes, the menu is getting crowded, and it could really use a little
> reordering.  But maybe we can leave this for the moment, as I would like
> to finish the FieldPropertiesDialog first.  I will think about it then.

Ok, agreed, we'll leave it as it is for now.

--
Milan Babuskov
http://www.flamerobin.org



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Flamerobin-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/flamerobin-devel