Re: Mac OS Lion

Andre van Zuydam
I would like to setup a development environment on an iMac.  I am new to Mac OS but am quite comfortable in Linux.  Can anyone suggest the best way to do this in a step by step manner ?

I would be happy with:

1.) Install ...
2.) Download ...
3.) Configure ...

And so on.  I have no problem running around in a terminal etc...

Your sincerely

Andre

Re: Mac OS Lion

Michael Hieke
On 24.11.2011 07:08, Andre van Zuydam wrote:

> I would like to setup a development environment on an iMac.  I am new to
> Mac OS but am quite comfortable in Linux.  Can anyone suggest the best
> way to do this in a step by step manner ?

I'm not quite clear on whether you want a dev environment for hacking
FlameRobin or a generic one for whatever, but you basically have two

- Use the Apple provided developer tools
<http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/>.

- Use the compilers from the command line with makefiles, which would
give you a very similar environment to Linux.

The Mac should have come with a Developer Tools DVD, but to get the most
recent compiler versions it would still be a good idea to download the
latest dev tools from Apple, even though you might never start Xcode but
use stuff solely from the shell.

I have not used Xcode for FlameRobin work, I have always downloaded
wxWidgets and FlameRobin code from SVN and built both from script files.
  If you are interested I could dig them out and post them here.

HTH

Re: Mac OS Lion

Andre van Zuydam
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response.

The reason I want to compile Flamerobin is that there is no binary for my OS at this stage,  I am a bit impatient to wait as it is a tool I use often.
I would also be quite happy to build and test on MacOS for release purposes if that will help the community.

If I ever get some time I would like to add some useful hacks :)

Please post a short instruction, I assume you would be doing a make, / make install etc, like one would do on Linux.

I'd be interested how one would use Xcode to compile Flamerobin, I must admit I have done very little research into this I was hoping not to reinvent the wheel and wasting away a whole weekend on struggling.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Michael Hieke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24.11.2011 07:08, Andre van Zuydam wrote:

> I would like to setup a development environment on an iMac.  I am new to
> Mac OS but am quite comfortable in Linux.  Can anyone suggest the best
> way to do this in a step by step manner ?

I'm not quite clear on whether you want a dev environment for hacking
FlameRobin or a generic one for whatever, but you basically have two

- Use the Apple provided developer tools
<http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/>.

- Use the compilers from the command line with makefiles, which would
give yHIou a very similar environment to Linux.

The Mac should have come with a Developer Tools DVD, but to get the most
recent compiler versions it would still be a good idea to download the
latest dev tools from Apple, even though you might never start Xcode but
use stuff solely from the shell.

I have not used Xcode for FlameRobin work, I have always downloaded
wxWidgets and FlameRobin code from SVN and built both from script files.
 If you are interested I could dig them out and post them here.

HTH

Re: Mac OS Lion

Michael Hieke
Hi Andre,

On 29.11.2011 13:55, Andre van Zuydam wrote:

> The reason I want to compile Flamerobin is that there is no binary
> for my OS at this stage,  I am a bit impatient to wait as it is a
> tool I use often.

OK, but if with "my OS" you mean a 64 bit variant of Mac OS X then you
will need to use wxWidgets trunk version, configure it to use the Cocoa
strain and try to build FlameRobin against that - I'm not sure that this
will build or work at all, have never tried.

> I would also be quite happy to build and test on MacOS for release
> purposes if that will help the community.

Testing is always helpful, so this would be much appreciated.

> Please post a short instruction, I assume you would be doing a make,
> / make install etc, like one would do on Linux.

I attach the two scripts I used to build the FlameRobin releases lately.
  You will need to modify stuff like paths and SVN repository locations,
especially for wxWidgets trunk or 2.9 builds.  Also, if you have more
than two cores you should adapt the make parameters for parallel builds.
You can probably also drop the ppc builds and the lipo invocation, and
if building for your own machine you can specify a higher SDK version
and deployment target, maybe completely omit these adjustments.

> I'd be interested how one would use Xcode to compile Flamerobin, I
> must admit I have done very little research into this I was hoping
> not to reinvent the wheel and wasting away a whole weekend on
> struggling.

Sorry, can't help you with this.  The automated command line builds were
perfect for my purposes.

Best of luck with the building

build_wxWidgets (1K) Download Attachment
build_flamerobin_release (1K) Download Attachment