Road Map & system tables

Si Carter
I was just looking at the road map
(http://www.flamerobin.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:roadmap) and wondering
how up to date it is?

Also, system tables, is there any indication when these will be available?
The only time I have to use IBOConsole now is when viewing system tables,
which is surprising often lately :-)

I was also wondering, how you will be implementing system objects, currently
in IBOConsole the system tables are mixed in with the regular tables which,
imo, is hard on the eyes with all the RDB$ prefix's, will you be adding a
system tree item with defined sections for tables, functions and any other
objects which come along in the future.  i.e.

  Local
    DB
      Tables
      Domains
      System
        Tables
        Functions

Which would be nice :-), or will you be mixing them like IBOConsole

Rgds

Si Carter
http://www.tectsoft.net/
http://www.fbtalk.net/

Re: Road Map & system tables

Milan Babuskov-2
Simon Carter wrote:
> I was just looking at the road map
> (http://www.flamerobin.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:roadmap) and wondering
> how up to date it is?

It mostly is, except that some things are already done, and dates are
wrong, i.e. we are behind the schedule.

> Also, system tables, is there any indication when these will be available?
> The only time I have to use IBOConsole now is when viewing system tables,
> which is surprising often lately :-)

I have no idea. The next feature on my list is user management and
privileges. I will definitely be before 0.9, but I can't tell when.

> I was also wondering, how you will be implementing system objects, currently
> in IBOConsole the system tables are mixed in with the regular tables which,
> imo, is hard on the eyes with all the RDB$ prefix's, will you be adding a
> system tree item with defined sections for tables, functions and any other
> objects which come along in the future.  i.e.

>   Local
>     DB
>       Tables
>       Domains
>       System
>         Tables
>         Functions
>
> Which would be nice :-), or will you be mixing them like IBOConsole

We plan to make a separate node, like views, tables, triggers, etc. We
don't plan to make a System node and subnodes. So:

DB
   Tables
   Domains
   System tables
   Procedures
   Triggers
   etc.

RE: Road Map & system tables

Si Carter

OOI could this not get quite busy in the future?  FB2 already has 2 system
functions, and if, in the future system views/procedures were added the main
tree could look busy i.e.

DB
   Tables
   System tables
   Domains
   System Views
   Procedures
   System Procedures
   Triggers
   Functions
   System Functions

Rgds

Si Carter
http://www.tectsoft.net/
http://www.fbtalk.net/

Re: Road Map & system tables

Milan Babuskov-2
Simon Carter wrote:
>>We plan to make a separate node, like views, tables,
>>triggers, etc. We don't plan to make a System node and sub nodes. So:
>
> OOI could this not get quite busy in the future?  FB2 already has 2 system
> functions, and if, in the future system views/procedures were added the main
> tree could look busy i.e.

I don't see some benefit in showing system functions in the tree. It's
not like you're going to alter or drop them. Just like we removed the
system domains. The tables are needed since you query them often and
it's hard to remember which are the field names. I believe we could put
system tables and views together if views are implemented one day.

> DB
>    Tables
>    System tables
>    Domains
>    System Views
>    Procedures
>    System Procedures
>    Triggers
>    Functions
>    System Functions

Well, if that really happens, then we'll change FR. IMO, having system
tables is quite enough for the time being.

Long time a ago I posted to this list an idea about having two tabs in
main window: "user" and "system". Clicking on each would switch between
tree views. IIRC, it was decided that it is not needed since only system
thing that is needed are the tables.

http://fbexport.sourceforge.net

Re: Road Map & system tables

Nando Dessena
Milan,

>> OOI could this not get quite busy in the future?  FB2 already has 2 system
>> functions, and if, in the future system views/procedures were added the main
>> tree could look busy i.e.

M> I don't see some benefit in showing system functions in the tree. It's
M> not like you're going to alter or drop them.

but you'll certaily like to see what's available. OTOH FR doesn0t show
what built-in functions are available anyway; and it doesn't
differentiate among different versions of FB anyway (this ought to
change some day).

M> Just like we removed the system domains.

that's not quite the same thing. The system domains are just noise
that should be filtered away, while real system objects are usable and
useful.

M> The tables are needed since you query them often and
M> it's hard to remember which are the field names.

Yes.

M> I believe we could put system tables and views together if views
M> are implemented one day.

but it wouldn't be consistent with what we have now.

>> DB
>>    Tables
>>    System tables
>>    Domains
>>    System Views
>>    Procedures
>>    System Procedures
>>    Triggers
>>    Functions
>>    System Functions

M> Well, if that really happens, then we'll change FR. IMO, having system
M> tables is quite enough for the time being.

Agreed. Let's add the System Tables and come back on the matter later.

Ciao
--
Nando Dessena