Strange behaviour

Si Carter
On one of the workstations where I use FR, I have a strange, reproducible
behavioural problem.

There are two databases registered to localhost connection, one of them is a
test bed that I play around with.  When I first open FR everything goes
well, I can connect to the database (FB 2 Alpha) no problems.  However, when
I first invoke the SQL window there is a delay of around 6 seconds.  This in
itself is not a major concern, the real problem occurs when I switch to
another application whilst waiting for the window to appear.  If I switch to
another application the SQL window does not appear until I re-focus,
minimize then restore FR.

WinXP Pro, FR 0.4.0

Regards

Si Carter
http://www.fbtalk.net/
http://www.tectsoft.net/

Re: Strange behaviour

Milan Babuskov-2
Simon Carter wrote:
> There are two databases registered to localhost connection, one of them is a
> test bed that I play around with.  When I first open FR everything goes
> well, I can connect to the database (FB 2 Alpha) no problems.

We don't support FB 2 yet.

> However, when
> I first invoke the SQL window there is a delay of around 6 seconds.

Check the size of your fr_settings.conf file. Perhaps that database has
a lot of items in history.

> This in
> itself is not a major concern, the real problem occurs when I switch to
> another application whilst waiting for the window to appear.  If I switch to
> another application the SQL window does not appear until I re-focus,
> minimize then restore FR.

This looks more like a standard problem with windows and applications. I
run into it with many other tools. Therefore, I don't think that is
something we can or should fix. We could add GrabUserAttention call to
flash FR in taskbar, but I generally hate apps that do it.

RE: Strange behaviour

Si Carter

Fair enough

> Check the size of your fr_settings.conf file. Perhaps that
> database has a lot of items in history.

Theres about 240 items in the history section, the total file size is around
220kb, which isn't that big really.  I will do some other tests to see what
optimum history size is as I'm pretty sure I don't need that many items :-)

> This looks more like a standard problem with windows and
> applications. I run into it with many other tools. Therefore,
> I don't think that is something we can or should fix.

I'm not too sure tbh, the sql window will not show until I focus, minimize
and then restore, which seems a strange set of circumstances.  Normally the
window would show, even if in the background.  I might expect the sql window
to be lower in the z-order than the main app window when I re-focus, but to
simply not show until minimized and restored is a bit strange.

> We could add GrabUserAttention call to flash FR in taskbar, but
> I generally hate apps that do it.

Agreed

Rgds

Si

Re: Strange behaviour

Milan Babuskov-2
Simon Carter wrote:
>>This looks more like a standard problem with windows and
>>applications. I run into it with many other tools. Therefore,
>>I don't think that is something we can or should fix.
>
> I'm not too sure tbh, the sql window will not show until I focus, minimize
> and then restore, which seems a strange set of circumstances.  Normally the
> window would show, even if in the background.  I might expect the sql window
> to be lower in the z-order than the main app window when I re-focus, but to
> simply not show until minimized and restored is a bit strange.

Prehaps I misunderstood you. You mean that the SQL editor does not show
in *taskbar* until you minimize&restore? If that is the case, then it
could be a bug.

http://fbexport.sourceforge.net