Suggestion: copy as in-list

Kjell Rilbe-3
Hi,

I often find myself doing this in Excel, so perhaps it would be a useful
feature. On the right menu in the result grid, if a single column is
(possibly partially) selected, could we add "Copy as IN-list"?

This should generate something that could be pasted between the
paratheses of an in clause.

Possible config params:

1. Indent level in spaces.

2. Number of items per row.

For example, with a column like this:

123
456
789
null
111
222
null
567
333

If indent level is four and items per row is three, it would generate
this (underscore replaces indent spaces):

____123, 456, 789,
____111, 222, 567,
____333

For string, it would single-quote the values and escape single-quotes in
the data. E.g. for this data:

O'Connor
null
Olsen
Jorgensen
Smith

it would generate this:

____'O''Connor', 'Olsen', 'Jorgensen',
____'Smith'

It would be OK to me if the suggested config params were fixed and not
configurable. In that case I'd suggest indent = 0 and one or ten items
per row.

Regards,
Kjell
--
--------------------------------------
Kjell Rilbe

Re: Suggestion: copy as in-list

Milan Babuskov-4
On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Kjell Rilbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I often find myself doing this in Excel, so perhaps it would be a useful
> feature. On the right menu in the result grid, if a single column is
> (possibly partially) selected, could we add "Copy as IN-list"?

Now that you bring that up, I really needed it myself often. I'll look
into adding it.

http://www.guacosoft.com

Re: Suggestion: copy as in-list

Milan Babuskov-4
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Milan Babuskov
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Kjell Rilbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I often find myself doing this in Excel, so perhaps it would be a useful
>> feature. On the right menu in the result grid, if a single column is
>> (possibly partially) selected, could we add "Copy as IN-list"?
>
> Now that you bring that up, I really needed it myself often. I'll look
> into adding it.

Committed as revision 2186.

It is not at all configurable, items are separated by a single space
and lines are wrapped at 80 characters. I don't thing this feature is
very important to configure anyway.

Enjoy.

http://www.guacosoft.com

Den 2011-07-23 20:40 skrev Milan Babuskov såhär:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Milan Babuskov
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Kjell Rilbe<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> I often find myself doing this in Excel, so perhaps it would be a useful
>>> feature. On the right menu in the result grid, if a single column is
>>> (possibly partially) selected, could we add "Copy as IN-list"?
>>
>> Now that you bring that up, I really needed it myself often. I'll look
>> into adding it.
>
> Committed as revision 2186.

Nice! Thanks!

> It is not at all configurable, items are separated by a single space
> and lines are wrapped at 80 characters. I don't thing this feature is
> very important to configure anyway.

It would be nice, but not important. I usually keep scripts of
everything I do, to be able to track later on what I did, in case I need
to redo it on new data or do something similar later on. Also if any
questions arise re. the results, it's nice to be able to lookup exactly
what I did.

For these saved scripts I have my own rather well defined coding style,
and for that purpose I would like to be able to config this feature "my
way". But I can do it rather quickly with keyboard macros and such, so
it's not a big issue.

Kjell
--
Kjell Rilbe