System tables and other system objects

Didier Gasser-Morlay
>> Only system tables were needed

It depends on what you intend to do. In Sybase, or Oracle for example I really
often use the system-defined functions or Sps since they provide me with
building blocks readily available to achieve certain tasks. I do not then have
to reinvent the will by querying myself the system tables as system developpers
have normally already covered most of my needs.

I use this for example for cleanly integrating a query tools in my apps or
provide a way to change or alter Stored procedures (which is handy to quickly
send an update via email to some super-user and have him applying the changes.
I know I can write all the queries myself, but using the system ones, I am then
guaranteed to do everything which is needed for the task. I do not have to be
100% familiar with a specific Database.

Last, but not least, system objects are a great way to learn and understand more
about the database you're using.

The only caveat: the system should not allow the user to drop or probably
update, a system object. That would be far too dangerous. But please do not
hide the system-level objects.

Just my EUR 0.02

Didier

Re: System tables and other system objects

Nando Dessena
Didier,

>>> Only system tables were needed

d> It depends on what you intend to do.

we intend to do Firebird. ;-) When Fb will allow you to have useful
system functions, views, SPs, whatever, rest assured that FR will let
you get at them in the most convenient way we can think of.

Ciao
--
Nando Dessena

Re: System tables and other system objects

Milan Babuskov-2
Nando Dessena wrote:

> d> It depends on what you intend to do.
>
> we intend to do Firebird. ;-) When Fb will allow you to have useful
> system functions, views, SPs, whatever, rest assured that FR will let
> you get at them in the most convenient way we can think of.

My thoughts exactly.

Re: System tables and other system objects

Didier Gasser-Morlay
Quoting [hidden email]:

> From: Nando Dessena <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Flamerobin-devel] System  tables and other system objects
>
> Didier,

> d> It depends on what you intend to do.

Aaarrggh! my english betrayed me, again,  by 'you' I did not mean 'you the FR
team', I meant 'you, as a user' whilst using the tools at hand (FR and
Firebird) to achieve your goal.

> we intend to do Firebird. ;-) When Fb will allow you to have useful
> system functions, views, SPs, whatever, rest assured that FR will let
> you get at them in the most convenient way we can think of.

Point taken, I misunderstood your (the FR Dev Team) intentions

Didier