wxWidgets uses in src/metadata/* files

Michael Hieke-2
Hi Milan,

please have a look at src/metadata/server.cpp, method

   bool Server::getVersion(wxString& version);

Do you really want to abandon the separation of UI and app logic?  I
thought we still wanted to keep wx stuff (apart from PCH stuff and
wxString) out of files with DBH classes?

Re: wxWidgets uses in src/metadata/* files

Nando Dessena
Milan, Michael,

MH> Do you really want to abandon the separation of UI and app logic?

I am sure the answer to this question is a resounding "no". :-)

Nonetheless, I think Server should disappear rather sooner than later.
Here is a possible plan:

- rename Server to Folder, or DatabaseGroup (which has less of a UI
connotation), or whatever (looks easy).
- write code that will migrate fr_database.conf in-place, to the new
format, on first opening (looks easy).
- remove from Server/Folder everything that is not appropriate for a
folder, including the getVersion* functions and move the functionality
to Database and/or visitors. This will also avoid in the future the
need to play guesswork and work against the API as currently done in
getVersion.

Here's the funny part: I am willing to make this task the mark of my
return to FR actual coding. Time is still a very scarce resource 'round
here, but what the heck!

Ciao
--
Nando Dessena

Re: wxWidgets uses in src/metadata/* files

Milan Babuskov-2
Nando Dessena wrote:
> Here is a possible plan:
>
> - rename Server to Folder, or DatabaseGroup (which has less of a UI
> connotation), or whatever (looks easy).

I don't mind the UI connotation, as it does represent UI. There is no
such concept as DatabaseGroup in Firebird. It is a way to group
databases "in the UI".

> - write code that will migrate fr_database.conf in-place, to the new
> format, on first opening (looks easy).

You might be surprised, but perhaps we don't need to do that. I moved
statements history to separate files, and now FR works quite fast. Or am
I missing the subject here?

> - remove from Server/Folder everything that is not appropriate for a
> folder, including the getVersion* functions and move the functionality
> to Database and/or visitors. This will also avoid in the future the
> need to play guesswork and work against the API as currently done in
> getVersion.

Makes sense. Wait...no, not another function for database. Ok, I guess
we have to make submenus for Database menu sooner or later.

> Here's the funny part: I am willing to make this task the mark of my
> return to FR actual coding. Time is still a very scarce resource 'round
> here, but what the heck!

Ok, feel free. I'm very limited with time now, and only work on the
stuff that get in my way (I'm using FR *heavily* - almost the entire day).

When I get some free time (mid-february) I will work on "DDL scripts for
all objects" and prepare for 0.6 release.

http://njam.sourceforge.net

Re: wxWidgets uses in src/metadata/* files

Nando Dessena
Milan,

>> - rename Server to Folder, or DatabaseGroup (which has less of a UI
>> connotation), or whatever (looks easy).

MB> I don't mind the UI connotation, as it does represent UI. There is no
MB> such concept as DatabaseGroup in Firebird. It is a way to group
MB> databases "in the UI".

I was just trying to make the concept a bit more general. Something
that could accomodate the concept of "folders in the UI" as well as
others not directly UI-related. For example, currently we have an
option to share the SQL history among all databases in the same
server. Sharing among all databases in the "same group" makes more
sense than "same folder". Let's say that the concept of group is a way
for the user to organize his databases, it has a UI (in the form of
folders in the tree) but exists independently of the UI (in our DBH).
This concept is compatible with the concept of Server (as nothing will
stop me from defining a group for each server - and that's what will
happen by default actually) but more open-ended, yet it's not as
complex to implement as the recursive folders we've been talking
about; this one is definately bite-sized.

>> - write code that will migrate fr_database.conf in-place, to the new
>> format, on first opening (looks easy).

MB> You might be surprised, but perhaps we don't need to do that. I moved
MB> statements history to separate files, and now FR works quite fast. Or am
MB> I missing the subject here?

Possibly. :-)
I meant, translate this:

<server>
  <displayName>Foo</displayName>
  <host>zeus</host>
  <port>3050</port>
  <database>
    <name>first.fdb</name>
  </database>
  <database>
    <name>second.fdb</name>
  </database>
</server>

to this:

<group>
  <displayName>Foo</displayName>
  <database>
    <name>zeus/3050:first.fdb</name>
  </database>
  <database>
    <name>zeus/3050:second.fdb</name>
  </database>
</group>

>> - remove from Server/Folder everything that is not appropriate for a
>> folder, including the getVersion* functions and move the functionality
>> to Database and/or visitors. This will also avoid in the future the
>> need to play guesswork and work against the API as currently done in
>> getVersion.

MB> Makes sense. Wait...no, not another function for database. Ok, I guess
MB> we have to make submenus for Database menu sooner or later.

Advanced -> getVersion
            makeCoffee

Ciao
--
Nando Dessena

Nando Dessena wrote:

> MB> I don't mind the UI connotation, as it does represent UI. There is no
> MB> such concept as DatabaseGroup in Firebird. It is a way to group
> MB> databases "in the UI".
>
> I was just trying to make the concept a bit more general. Something
> that could accomodate the concept of "folders in the UI" as well as
> others not directly UI-related. For example, currently we have an
> option to share the SQL history among all databases in the same
> server. Sharing among all databases in the "same group" makes more
> sense than "same folder".

Good point. "Group" sounds much better in this context. Ok, I'm buying it ;)

> MB> You might be surprised, but perhaps we don't need to do that. I moved
> MB> statements history to separate files, and now FR works quite fast. Or am
> MB> I missing the subject here?
>
> Possibly. :-)

Definitely. :)

> I meant, translate this:
>
> <server>
>   <displayName>Foo</displayName>
>   <host>zeus</host>
>   <port>3050</port>
>   <database>
>     <name>first.fdb</name>
>   </database>
>   <database>
>     <name>second.fdb</name>
>   </database>
> </server>
>
> to this:
>
> <group>
>   <displayName>Foo</displayName>
>   <database>
>     <name>zeus/3050:first.fdb</name>
>   </database>
>   <database>
>     <name>zeus/3050:second.fdb</name>
>   </database>
> </group>

That would be nice. As you can see, I didn't write any mechanism to
convert the old history entries. In fact, user has to remove them
manually from fr_settings.conf.

I have one question though: what happens with user management stuff? In
current Firebird's implementation users are Server-based. You can have
one list of users in database, and quite different one for the server.
If you bundle server+database into a single "path", you would have to
parse the server name back from it - which can be tricky (esp. if the
user mixes local+TCP/IP access and Linux+Windows).

I would prefer if at least the hostname, port and path are three
separate properties of the Database object.

> MB> Makes sense. Wait...no, not another function for database. Ok, I guess
> MB> we have to make submenus for Database menu sooner or later.
>
> Advanced -> getVersion
>             makeCoffee

:)

I would move the following items there right away:
- Show connected users
- Monitor events
- Backup
- Restore
- maybe even: Database Preferences

Perhaps we could name it "Tools" instead of "Advanced" ? Or not.

http://njam.sourceforge.net

Re: wxWidgets uses in src/metadata/* files

Nemanja Corlija
On 1/18/06, Milan Babuskov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would move the following items there right away:
> - Show connected users
> - Monitor events
> - Backup
> - Restore
> - maybe even: Database Preferences
>
> Perhaps we could name it "Tools" instead of "Advanced" ? Or not.
I haven't really been following the list lately, so I don't really
know where "Advanced" came from, but here's my opinion on this matter.

In my opinion, "Tools" is really the natural choice here. But
"Database Preferences" is not that clear cut. Even though I probably
look for application settings in "Tools"->"Preferences" by default,
I'm not sure if same "logic" applies here. Strictly speaking, it's not
a tool in a sense that, for example, backup/restore is. So in that
sense, it should stay where it is now.
On the other hand, "Database Preferences" and "Database registration
info" in same menu are not really all that desirable IMHO. So perhaps
moving "Database Preferences" to "Tools" would be the right thing to
do. I don't think windows users will have a problem with it. No idea
about other platforms though.

Purely from a _FlameRobin_ enduser POV, "Advanced" really doesn't make
sense here at all. IMHO at least.
I mean, "Advanced" by it self is really meaningless. It was probably
invented to scare off some users of MS Office from potentially too
advanced stuff for newbies. Actually, I just took a quick look at
Excel and there is no such menu item as "Advanced".
My rationale here is, users of FR are DBAs or software developers. And
if there's nothing "Advanced" in Office for your average Office user,
I don't think there's such a thing for FR users in FlameRobin.
--
Nemanja Corlija <[hidden email]>